Nealry 50% of the fat in coconut oil is the kind rarely found in nature called Lauric Acid, a "miracle" compound because of its unique health promoting properties. Your body converts Lauric Acid into monolaurin, which has anti viral, antibacterial and anti protozoa properties.
Coconut oil is also natures richest source of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs). By contrast, most common vegetable or seeds are comprised of long chain fatty acids (LCFAs).
LCTs are large molecules so they are difficult for your body to break down and predominantly stored as fat. But MCFAs, being smaller, are easily digested and immediately burned by your liver for energy - like carbs, but without the insulin spike.
MCFAs actually boost your metabolism and help you r body use fat for energy, as opposed to storing it, so it can actually help you become leaner!
Coconut oil has actually been shown to help optimise body weight, which can dramatically reduce your risk of developing Diabetes. Besides weight loss boosting your metabolic rate will improve your energy, accelerate healing and improve your overall immune function.
And finally as we have already discussed coconut oil is really good for your heart! The truth is this: is is the unsaturated fats that are primarily involved in heart disease, too much sugar and processed foods, not the naturally occurring saturated fats as you have been led to believe.
Here are 3 primary reasons to use coconut oil in the kitchen.
1. Cooking you food with omega3 vegetable oils produces a variety of very toxic chemicals, as well as forming trans fats. frying destroys the antioxidants in oil, actually oxidizing the oil which causes even worse problems for your body than trans fats
2. Most vegetable oils are genetically modified including 90% of soy, corn and canola oils.
3. Vegetable oil contributes to overabundance of damaged omega 6 fats in your diet, throwing off your omega 6 and 3 ratio. Nearly everyone in Western society consumes far to many omega 6 fats - about 100 times more than century ago and insufficient omega 3 fats, which contributes to numerous chronic degenerative diseases.
There is only one oil that is stable enough to with stand the heat of cooking, and that's coconut oil. So do yourself a favour and ditch all those "healthy oil wannabes" and replace them with a large jar off fresh , organic, heart supporting coconut oil.
Below are some health and beauty uses that you may not know you can use this miracle oil for:
- Makeup Remover: Even your “super” waterproof mascara doesn’t stand a chance against coconut oil. Carefully apply it directly to the face as an oil cleanser, or gently dab it against your skin cotton pad, the makeup will just melt away.
- Body Lotion: This versatile oil works great as a body moisturizer or substitute for your favorite lotion. And it smells great!
- A Lice Remedy: When used with a rinse of apple cider vinegar, this super combo makes for a great all-natural lice treatment. Apply the vinegar to the head/hair and allow to dry before applying coconut oil to the entire head. Let this sit 12 to 24 hours. Brush through hair with a fine comb and then rinse before shampooing.
- Use as an Alternative Cuticle Oil: Help to heal that pesky peeling skin along your nail bed with a coconut oil balm right at the base of your nails. This can also help your manicure last longer!
- All-Natural Frizz Tamer: Split ends and fly-a-ways can sometimes be annoying and hard to tame but say goodbye to those with this smoothing treatment. Just rub a dime-size amount in your hands and smooth from the base of the roots to the ends to eliminate frizz.
- Dandruff Treatment: Often a dry scalp means dandruff. To moisturize any dry areas, lightly apply the oil to the roots and rub in as a nighttime treatment. This will also help to stimulate hair growth. Or make yourself a hair mask by melting the oil before showering and applying to hair after shampooing. Allow the oil to sit for at least 5 minutes before rinsing to ensure moisture and shine back into limp locks.
- Itch Relief: Fight back at burns and bug bites! Even some bruises can be soothed with a topical balm of coconut oil. Coconut oil is also a safe topical to use on your pets!
- Body Oil: Did you know that coconut oil is a natural SPF 4? Use as an alternative body oil by applying to wet skin after your shower. Pat dry and go about your day!
- Breath Freshener: Coconut oil has some amazing antifungal and antibacterial properties. 20 minutes of oil pulling can help to clear up any germs which may be lurking in your mouth. This, later on, leads to whiter teeth, fresher breath, and even healthier gums. Or maybe you just realized you ran out of toothpaste. Don’t worry! Take a little coconut oil and add some baking soda for a quick fix.
- Deodorant: Make yourself an all-natural deodorant that works right at home! Mix a little arrowroot powder along with some cornstarch, baking soda, and your favorite scented essential oil along with the coconut oil for a DIY odor fix